It may be fun to shop for a wig, especially if you have all the necessary information. But, if you are not prepared with the right information, gears or tools, installing a lace front wig may be a stressful task.
Wondering how to put on a lace front wig the right way? Don’t worry it’s your lucky day MissGlamUp is here to share some best practices when it comes to installing a lace front wig.
Many believe that lace front wigs can only be applied by hairstylists to make them seem natural, but we know your wig can be applied at home. All you need is just the right strategy for that.
What Is A Lace Front Wig?
A lace front wig is a wig that has a thin, almost invisible lace material, to which the hairs are bound one by one. The outcome is a very realistic hairline and the illusion that the hairs of the wig grow from your scalp.
Lace front wigs or toppers are quite trendy because they mimic the real hair so well. This makes it very hard to recognize them as wigs when they are worn.
Related Article: How You Can Style Curtain Bangs Perfectly
How To Put On a lace Front Wig At Home
There are different techniques to put on a lace front wig like with or without glue, using clips and so on. Each approach has its beneﬁts and drawbacks, we’re going to explore them all in-depth.
How To Wear A Lace Front Wig With Glue?
Step #1: Prep Hair
- Wash and dry your hair with a gentle cleanser. We recommend applying acetone or rubbing alcohol as excess oils and little dust can be removed from your skin.
- Wipe acetone over the hairline using a cotton ball or swab.
- Gently flatten your hair so that the wig seems more natural. You may braid or create cornrows with long hair and secure them by using gel & bobby pins. Tie your hair in a ponytail in case of shorter hair.
- You may use hair spray to shape it up when you create braids. If you are using hairspray, just let it dry before the wig cap is placed on.
Step #2: Wear A Wig Cap
Next step in learning how to put on a lace front wig is to wear a wig cap. Wigs Cap also known as stocking caps are used to flattening and retaining your natural hair.
Place the cap carefully to wrap your head, so your natural hairs are perfectly covered under this cap, especially your hair on the neck.
Step #3: Examine Your Wig
Please ensure the wig fits your hair perfectly before you apply glue.
- You may put the hair system on your head to test it and align it with your natural hairline. Don’t wear a loose or tight wig, because it makes you feel unpleasant.
- Cut the extra lace once it suits your head. Remove hair with some clips from your face and cut the lace through the hairline with sharp scissors.
Step #4: Add Lace Glue
- Use your finger to coat your whole hairline with a thick coating of glue. Based on the types of glue you use, you can apply more than one layer.
- Before adding the next layer, you may have to wait for a few minutes until it becomes is clear.
Step #5: Put On Lace Front Wig
- Place your lace front wig on your head.
- Adjust your wig’s edge to mix it with your real hair.
- Perfectly match the hairline and wig’s back.
- Press the hair into the glue if you are satisfied.
- Use rubbing alcohol or acetone on your forehead to remove any remaining glue.
Isn’t it easy?
Step #6: Finishing
- Apply a few of your make-up powder on your lace to match it with your skin tone.
- Brush the hair and make it seem as you want.
- You can use hot styling equipment and hair products if your wig is “a real hair wig”.
- For synthetic hair, you shouldn’t brush and use the style tools on them.
Related Article: Detangle Hair Knots With Easy Steps
How to Put on A Lace Front Wig Without Glue
Many people typically jump to tape or glue when it comes to installing a wig. Although, it can bind the hair well, several days or weeks, if worn appropriately. But other people do not see the adhesive as a great alternative.
If you use too much glue, your skin and existing hair will be left with residue. Here are a few techniques that do not need glue for the wig installation.
Method #1: How to Put on A Lace Front Wig With Clips
It’s one of the most famous techniques for placing a lace front wig without glue. They are powerful enough and stable to maintain the wig longer. Moreover, with clips, it is much easier to apply and remove the wig.
- Prepare your hair before installing the wig, to do so you may braid your hair.
- Place the wig on your head by opening all the clips.
- Use the clips one by one and secure them carefully and slowly into your existing hair.
- The substance of the accessory affects your scalp and causes headaches if you place it too tightly. Choose press-sensitive clips rather than metal clips.
- Take a look at the hair by tilting your head a little.
- If anything is going to slip, tighten clips more closely, or sew more clips.
- Voila! Style Your hair as you want.
Method #2: How to Put on A Lace Front Wig With Bobby Pins
Note that it’s not always the same when you buy bobby pins to secure the wig. It is sold in various shapes, sizes, patterns, and colors. Therefore, pick products of the same color and match the thickness of the hair system.
- Just follow the initial step i.e braid your hair to prepare them for applying lace front wig.
- Now place the wig in your desired position.
- Then grab your bobby pins and secure your wig with them. Starting from the front, lift the hair system slowly and insert the bobby pin on both the wig and natural locks.
- Go ahead to work around your head.
- You can apply additional bobby pins if it feels unstable.
- Once done with putting bobby pins, now you can style your hair.
How Long Do Lace Front Wigs Last?
It varies on hair and wig maintenance. The lace front wigs with synthetic hair may last up to one year, while the lace front wigs with 100% real hair can last up to 3 years with good care.
Benefits Of A Lace Front Wig
As now you know what is a lace front wig? how to put on a lace front wig with the various method. It’s important to know why you should choose a lace front wig. So, let’s explore the benefits of lace front wig:
- The lace front wig comes with a breathable unit, which allows the air to reach into the scalp.
- You can do various hairstyles like French braid pigtails, ponytails, or space buns with its realistic look.
- Lace front wigs can be used to make up their bald hairline by persons with a thinning scalp.
- You can dye your wig with your desired color without worrying about ruining your actual hair.
For some, it will not work at the first attempt, but now you know how to put on a lace front wig give it another try. It may seem like a burden to put on a lace front wig, yet it doesn’t have to be. Your wig looks natural and realistic with patience and expert assistance irrespective of the nature of application or installation required.